April is national Car Care Month and in honor of that, we’ve compiled a short list of items on your vehicle that you should tend to this spring:
- Wash off all the grit and grime from the winter season. Get yourself some car wash soap (never use dish soap) from your local auto parts store and thoroughly wash your ride. Make sure to rinse out the wheel wells and undercarriage also. It also wouldn’t hurt to break out a vacuum and do a little spring cleaning on the inside, getting rid of all the french fries and jelly beans from under the seat.
- Check your tires: Inspect for road damage and bubbles, check the pressure and look for uneven wear that could indicate the need for an alignment.
- Check all fluids, including oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant and windshield washer fluid. Make sure they’re topped off.
- Take a look at your hoses and belts to make sure they’re not all dried out and cracking. A hose or belt failure could leave you on the side of the road.
- Check your windshield wiper performance. Dry and cracked wipers could scratch your windshield and will definitely effect performance.
- If you have kids and they are still in car seats, it’s a good idea to take those car seats out to inspect the tethering and buckles. You will also probably find about three pounds of old gold fish crackers and Cheerios, so keep the vacuum handy!