GM will publicly release the results of it’s internal probe as to why it did not issue a recall of over 2.6 million vehicles that the company knew had potentially deadly problems for almost a decade.
Mary Barra, CEO of GM, plans to lead a 9 a.m. ET town hall-type meeting with employees at GM’s technical center north of Detroit, followed by a press conference with reporters. GM described the events as an “update” on the ignition switch recall, but Barra is expected to share findings from an investigation conducted by former U.S. Attorney Anton Valukas.
Barra has promised that the report will provide an “unvarnished” examination of what went wrong inside GM, which last month admitted that it broke federal law and agreed to pay a record $35 million fine levied by auto-safety regulators. She said Valukas’ report would be completed by early June. GM is required to turn it over to regulators by June 30.
It’s unclear how much of the report GM plans to release immediately. Barra also is scheduled to update analysts on the recall during a conference call on Thursday afternoon.
Since mid-February, GM has recalled 2.6 million cars, including the Chevrolet Cobalt and Saturn Ion, because their ignition switch may not meet the company’s specifications. That flaw can cause the key to rotate out of “run” mode while the car is moving, disabling airbags, power steering and power brake assist.
GM says it has linked the problem to 13 deaths and 47 crashes.
We’ll update this blof with more info as soon as the reports are in.